Re: x86/kprobes: kretprobe fails to triggered if kprobe at function entry is not optimized (trigger by int3 breakpoint)

From: peterz
Date: Tue Aug 25 2020 - 10:15:29 EST

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:59:54PM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 15:30:05 +0200
> peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > Yeah, kretprobe already provided the per-instance data (as far as
> > > I know, only systemtap depends on it). We need to provide it for
> > > such users.
> > > But if we only have one lock, we can avoid checking NMI because
> > > we can check the recursion with trylock. It is needed only if the
> > > kretprobe uses per-instance data. Or we can just pass a dummy
> > > instance on the stack.
> >
> > I think it is true in general, you can unregister a rp while tasks are
> > preempted.
>
> Would you mean the kretprobe handler (or trampoline handler) will be
> preempted? All kprobes (including kretprobe) handler is running in
> non-preemptive state, so it shouldn't happen...

I was thinking about something like:

for_each_process_thread(p, t) {
if (!t->kretprobe_instances.first)
continue;

again:
if (try_invoke_on_locked_down_task(t, unhook_rp_inst, tp))
continue;

smp_function_call(...);

if (!done)
goto again;
}

So then for each task that has a kretprobe stack, we iterate the stack
and set ri->rp = NULL, remotely when the task isn't running, locally if
the task is running.

I just need to change the semantics of try_invoke_on_locked_down_task()
a bit -- they're a tad weird atm.

> > Anyway,. I think I have a solution, just need to talk to paulmck for a
> > bit.
>
> Ah, you mentioned that the removing the kfree() from the trampline
> handler? I think we can make an rcu callback which will kfree() the
> given instances. (If it works in NMI)

Yes, calling kfree() from the trampoline seems dodgy at best. When
!ri->rp rcu_free() is a good option.