Re: [ANNOUNCE] Reiser5: Selective File Migration - User Interface

From: Edward Shishkin
Date: Wed Aug 26 2020 - 17:13:52 EST

[...]

FYI Although not officially, the Debian metaframework Buster AMD64 distribution might be the first to support native installation of Reiser4 SFRN 5.1.3, kernel and reiser4progs 2.0.3, file system utilities.

I have already made a couple of successful Metztli Reiser4 SFRN 5 native installations onto ~100 GB slices, which root file system is formatted in 'Reiser5' and 1 GB /boot in JFS.
https://metztli.it/reiser5 (Screenshot 600x338 size)

The upgraded netboot installation media metztli-reiser4-sfrn5.iso is available at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/debian-reiser4/
as well as
https://metztli.it/buster-reiser5/metztli-reiser4-sfrn5.iso
https://metztli.it/buster-reiser5/metztli-reiser4-sfrn5.iso.SHA256SUM

Likely the brick/volume feature(s) will be useful in Cloud fabric infrastructures, like Google's, where reiser4 excels.

The current SFRN 5.1.3 -patched Zstd -compressed kernel in the installation media is Debian's 5.7.10.

wow, reiser5 from the box? I might want to try..

The installer defaults to create the root system reiser5 -formatted partition as:
mkfs.reiser4 -yo "create=reg42"

"reg42" is default profile in reiser4progs-2.0.3 (check by
"mkfs.reiser4 -p") - there is no need to specify it via option.

Have you had a chance to play with logical volumes (add/remove
bricks, etc)?

Thanks!
Edward.