Re: [GIT PULL] fscache rewrite -- please drop for now

From: Dominique Martinet
Date: Thu Aug 27 2020 - 12:18:46 EST

David Howells wrote on Thu, Aug 27, 2020:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > FYI, a giant rewrite dropping support for existing consumer is always
> > rather awkward. Is there any way you could pre-stage some infrastructure
> > changes, and then do a temporary fscache2, which could then be renamed
> > back to fscache once everyone switched over?
>
> That's a bit tricky. There are three points that would have to be shared: the
> userspace miscdev interface, the backing filesystem and the single index tree.
>
> It's probably easier to just have a go at converting 9P and cifs. Making the
> old and new APIs share would be a fairly hefty undertaking in its own right.

While I agree something incremental is probably better, I have some free
time over the next few weeks so will take a shot at 9p; it's definitely
going to be easier.

Should I submit patches to you or wait until Linus merges it next cycle
and send them directly?

I see Jeff's ceph patches are still in his tree's ceph-fscache-iter
branch and I don't see them anywhere in your tree.

--
Dominique