Re: lib/crypto/chacha.c:65:1: warning: the frame size of 1604 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Aug 27 2020 - 16:08:36 EST

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:12 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah right, that explains why I never saw the warning in my randconfig
> build tests, I run those with COMPILE_TEST force-enabled.

.. but your clang test did enable this?

.. never mind, I have clang locally anyway, and while I usually don't
do the allmodconfig test there, I did it now with COMPILE_TEST
disabled.

clang does seem fine. It generates 136 bytes of stack-frame (plus
register saves), which is certainly not optimal, but it's not horribly
excessive.

Of course, I don't know if clang actually does the same as gcc with
-fsanitize=object-size and -fprofile-arcs, but whatever they do, they
were on for that clang build.

So yes, this does seem to be a gcc-only problem.

Linus