Re: [LKP] Re: [x86/mce] 1de08dccd3: will-it-scale.per_process_ops -14.1% regression

From: Feng Tang
Date: Mon Aug 31 2020 - 08:53:16 EST

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 09:55:17AM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 04:23:06PM +0800, Feng Tang wrote:

> > > Because if you have two structures that are per-cpu and not cache-aligned
> > > then a write in one can bounce the cache line in another due to
> > > cache coherency protocol. It's generally called "false cache line
> > > sharing". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_sharing has basic examples
> > > (lets not get into whether wikipedia is a valid citation source, there
> > > are books on the topic if someone really cared).
> >
> > For 'arch_freq_scale' and 'tsc_adjust' percpu variable, they are only
> > accessed by their own CPU, and usually no other CPU will touch them,
>
> Read "false sharing again". Two adjacent per-CPU structures can still
> interfere with each other if the structures happen to cross a cache line
> boundary and are not cache aligned.

Sure, will recheck that wiki, thanks.

Some cache info about the test box is, it's the Xeon Phi platform with
72 cores, and each core has 4 HT threads, so there are 288 CPUs. The L1
D-cache and I-cache are both 32KB. There is no L3 cache, and every 2
cores share one 1MB L2 cache. The L1 D-cache is 64 sets, 8 ways, and the
L2 cache is 1024 sets, 16 ways.

Thanks,
Feng