MAINTAINERS: Marking internal distribution lists

From: Lukas Bulwahn
Date: Fri Sep 11 2020 - 02:38:01 EST

Hi Joe,

in my continued effort to clean up MAINTAINERS, I came across various
email "lists" that are actually just some kind of internal distribution
lists, but we cannot subscribe to them (no archives available) and they
are not affiliated to a specific person.

Some examples are:

- bcm-kernel-feedback-list.broadcom.com
- brcm80211-dev-list.cypress.com
- brcm80211-dev-list.pdl.broadcom.com
- coreteam.netfilter.org
- esc.storagedev.microsemi.com
- linux-imx.nxp.com
- megaraidlinux.pdl.broadcom.com
- MPT-FusionLinux.pdl.broadcom.com
- ocfs2-devel.oss.oracle.com
- oss-drivers.netronome.com
- patches.opensource.cirrus.com
- qat-linux.intel.com
- rds-devel.oss.oracle.com
- sparmaintainer.unisys.com
- wil6210.qti.qualcomm.com
- x86.kernel.org

One of the dots needs to be replaced by an @, of course, but let us not
make it too easy for spammers to pick something up ;)

Some of them are mentioned in MAINTAINERS with 'L:' entry as those above,
some others are mentioned in MAINTAINERS with an 'R:' or even a 'M:' entry.

Greg KH also called them email group aliases and does not want them to be
valid entries for maintainer roles ('M:') because it is unclear who really
is the maintainer for such sections (when is it orphaned, when does the
maintainer actually change, etc.).

Would you have any recommendation for marking/handling such email
addresses in MAINTAINERS?

I thought about the following options:

If the email address cannot be affiliated to one specific person and the
list is not subscribable,

A. should we then mark them as 'L: email (internal)'? (or
some other keyword, such as non-subscribable, restricted group...)

B. should we just make them 'R:' entries?

With a bit of searching and guessing, I can probably update all those
entries in MAINTAINERS and pass them to the according mailing lists for
review and inclusion.

Best regards,

Lukas