Re: Changing vma->vm_file in dma_buf_mmap()

From: Christian König
Date: Wed Sep 16 2020 - 16:57:14 EST

Am 16.09.20 um 16:07 schrieb Jason Gunthorpe:
On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:53:59AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:

But within the driver, we generally need thousands of these, and that
tends to bring fd exhaustion problems with it. That's why all the private
buffer objects which aren't shared with other process or other drivers are
handles only valid for a specific fd instance of the drm chardev (each
open gets their own namespace), and only for ioctls done on that chardev.
And for mmap we assign fake (but unique across all open fd on it) offsets
within the overall chardev. Hence all the pgoff mangling and re-mangling.
Are they still unique struct files? Just without a fdno?

Yes, exactly.

Hence why we'd like to be able to forward aliasing mappings and adjust the
file and pgoff, while hopefully everything keeps working. I thought this
would work, but Christian noticed it doesn't really.
It seems reasonable to me that the dma buf should be the owner of the
VMA, otherwise like you say, there is a big mess attaching the custom
vma ops and what not to the proper dma buf.

I don't see anything obviously against this in mmap_region() - why did
Chritian notice it doesn't really work?

To clarify I think this might work.

I just had the same "Is that legal?", "What about security?", etc.. questions you raised as well.

It seems like a source of trouble so I thought better ask somebody more familiar with that.

Christian.

Jason