Re: [patch 00/13] preempt: Make preempt count unconditional

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Sep 17 2020 - 12:31:33 EST

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 09:52:30AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 12:39 AM Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I just realized that since these dma_fence structs are refcounted and
> > > userspace can hold references (directly, it can pass them around
> > > behind file descriptors) we might never hit such a path until slightly
> > > unusual or evil userspace does something interesting. Do you have
> > > links to those patches? Some googling didn't turn up anything. I can
> > > then figure out whether it's better to risk not spotting issues with
> > > call_rcu vs slapping a memalloc_noio_save/restore around all these
> > > critical section which force-degrades any allocation to GFP_ATOMIC at
> > > most, but has the risk that we run into code that assumes "GFP_KERNEL
> > > never fails for small stuff" and has a decidedly less tested fallback
> > > path than rcu code.
> >
> > Here is the previous early draft version, which will change considerably
> > for the next version:
> >
> > lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200809204354.20137-1-urezki@xxxxxxxxx
> >
> > This does kvfree_rcu(), but we expect to handle call_rcu() similarly.
> >
> > The version in preparation will use workqueues to do the allocation in a
> > known-safe environment and also use lockless access to certain portions
> > of the allocator caches (as noted earlier, this last is not much loved
> > by some of the MM guys). Given Thomas's patch, we could with high
> > probability allocate directly, perhaps even not needing memory-allocator
> > modifications.
> >
> > Either way, kvfree_rcu(), and later call_rcu(), will avoid asking the
> > allocator to do anything that the calling context prohibits. So what
> > types of bugs are you looking for? Where reclaim calls back into the
> > driver or some such?
>
> Yeah pretty much. It's a problem for gpu, fs, block drivers and really
> anything else that's remotely involved in memory reclaim somehow.
> Generally this is all handled explicitly by passing gfp_t flags down
> any call chain, but in some cases it's instead solved with the
> memalloc_no* functions. E.g. sunrpc uses that to make sure the network
> stack (which generally just assumes it can allocate memory) doesn't,
> to avoid recursions back into nfs/sunrpc. To my knowledge there's no
> way to check at runtime with which gfp flags you're allowed to
> allocate memory, a preemptible check is definitely not enough.
> Disabled preemption implies only GFP_ATOMIC is allowed (ignoring nmi
> and stuff like that), but the inverse is not true.

Thank you for the confirmation!

> So if you want the automagic in call_rcu I think either
> - we need to replace all explicit gfp flags with the context marking
> memalloc_no* across the entire kernel, or at least anywhere rcu might
> be used.
> - audit all callchains and make sure a call_rcu_noalloc is used
> anywhere there might be a problem. probably better to have a
> call_rcu_gfp with explicit gfp flags parameter, since generally that
> needs to be passed down.
>
> But at least to me the lockless magic in mm sounds a lot safer, since
> it contains the complexity and doesn't leak it out to callers of
> call_rcu.

Agreed, I greatly prefer Peter Zijlstra's lockless-allocation patch
myself.

In the meantime, it looks like we will start by causing the allocation to
happen in a safe environment. That may have issues with delays, but is
at least something that can be done entirely within the confines of RCU.

Thanx, Paul