Re: arm64: dropping prevent_bootmem_remove_notifier

From: Sudarshan Rajagopalan
Date: Thu Oct 29 2020 - 17:03:39 EST

Hi Anshuman, David,

Thanks for all the detailed explanations for the reasoning to have bootmem protected from being removed. Also, I do agree drivers being able to mark memory sections isn't the right thing to do.

We went ahead with the approach of using "mem=" as you suggested to limit the bootmem and add remaining blocks using add_memory_driver_managed() so that driver has ownership of these blocks.

We do have some follow-up questions regarding this - will initiate a discussion soon.