Re: [BUG] SPI broken for SPI based panel drivers

From: Sven Van Asbroeck
Date: Tue Dec 01 2020 - 09:11:37 EST

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well I only complain because you wrote that you knew that it may
> break something else. So it is known to induces a regression.

We knew that it would fix an important, common problem, but
we also knew that there is always a possibility of breaking
something else when making a change to the core.

> Maybe printing a "please check your spi setup" in spi_setup() with
> a comment hinting at your patch would have saved me a lot of time.

You could ask the maintainer for such a policy, but I fear that soon
the code would emit too many "please check" messages.

> Well, I am sort of maintainer of a vendor kernel that tries to
> follow linus/master and fix things before we release an LTS.

Makes sense, I understand your situation better now.

> Anyways, there is still time until v5.10.0 to fix it better than by
> a revert.

When we find a fix, it'll have a Fixes: tag, which means it'll
automatically be applied to every supported kernel, including
v5.10 even if already released.

> Hope that you have an idea soon. I am happy to test any suggestions/patches/alternatives
> better than a simple revert.

Thank you, that's great. I may come back with a few suggestions
for you to test this week.