Re: k10temp: ZEN3 readings are broken

From: Gabriel C
Date: Tue Dec 22 2020 - 10:27:42 EST

Am Di., 22. Dez. 2020 um 07:16 Uhr schrieb Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 05:33:17AM +0100, Gabriel C wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > At least is what the weird amd_energy driver added and since is only supporting
> > fam 17h model 0x31 which is TR 3000 & SP3 Rome, I guess fam 19h 0x1 is
> > TR/SP3 ZEN3.
>
> The limited model support is because people nowadays are not willing to
> accept that reported values may not always be perfect ... and the reported
> energy for non-server parts is known to be not always perfect. Kind of an
> odd situation: If we support non-server parts, we have people complain
> that values are not perfect. If we only support server parts, we have
> people complain that only server parts are supported. For us, that is
> a lose-lose situation. I used to think that is is better to report
> _something_, but the (sometimes loud) complaints about lack of perfection
> teached me a lesson. So now my reaction is to drop support if I get
> complaints about lack of perfection.

I agree it is an odd situation with these modules, but having
something is better than nothing.
As for the amd_energy driver, yes it is off on some platforms by 2%-5%
or alike but without having
that support in the kernel, regardless of the module, we cannot ever
come to perfection or near it.

For both k10temp & amd_energy driver I suggest to not drop the support
but add kernel modules
options disabled by default, much like a lot laptop platform drivers
have for different reasons.

The amd_energy driver could have some any_ryzen option which turned
off by default.
That way people may decide if they want to use it even when not 100%
perfect and can report
back on platforms the reporting is accurate.
Waiting for AMD to give us ID of what may be in their eyes accurate is
like waiting for pigs to fly.

The k10temp module much like the same, some experimental_voltage_report module
option will be fine for now, I think.

I'm also sure owner of AMD HW will help out optimizing and maintaining the code.

> Guenter

Best Regards,

Gabriel C.