Re: uninitialized pmem struct pages

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Jan 04 2021 - 10:10:55 EST

On Mon 04-01-21 15:51:35, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 04.01.21 15:26, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > On Mon 04-01-21 11:45:39, David Hildenbrand wrote:
[....]
> >> One instance where this is still an issue is
> >> mm/memory-failure.c:memory_failure() and
> >> mm/memory-failure.c:soft_offline_page(). I thought for a while about
> >> "fixing" these, but to me it felt like fixing pfn_to_online_page() is
> >> actually the right approach.
> >>
> >> But worse, before ZONE_DEVICE hot-add
> >> 1. The whole section memmap does already exist (early sections always
> >> have a full memmap for the whole section)
> >> 2. The whole section memmap is initialized (although eventually with
> >> dummy node/zone 0/0 for memory holes until that part is fixed) and might
> >> be accessed by pfn walkers.
> >>
> >> So when hotadding ZONE_DEVICE we are modifying already existing and
> >> visible memmaps. Bad.
> >
> > Could you elaborate please?
>
> Simplistic example: Assume you have a VM with 64MB on x86-64.
>
> We need exactly one memory section (-> one memory block device). We
> allocate the memmap for a full section - an "early section". So we have
> a memmap for 128MB, while 64MB are actually in use, the other 64MB is
> initialized (like a memory hole). pfn_to_online_page() would return a
> valid struct page for the whole section memmap.
>
> The remaining 64MB can later be used for hot-adding ZONE_DEVICE memory,
> essentially re-initializing that part of the already-existing memmap.
>
> See pfn_valid():
>
> /*
> * Traditionally early sections always returned pfn_valid() for
> * the entire section-sized span.
> */
> return early_section(ms) || pfn_section_valid(ms, pfn);
>

> Depending on the memory layout of the system, a pfn walker might just be
> about to stumble over this range getting re-initialized.

Right. But as long as pfn walkers are not synchronized with the memory
hotplug this is a general problem with any struct page. Whether it
belongs to pmem or a regular memory, no?

> >> 2. Deferred init of ZONE_DEVICE ranges
> >>
> >> memmap_init_zone_device() runs after the ZONE_DEVICE zone was resized
> >> and outside the memhp lock. I did not follow if the use of
> >> get_dev_pagemap() actually makes sure that memmap_init_zone_device() in
> >> pagemap_range() actually completed. I don't think it does.
> >
> > So a pfn walker can see an unitialized struct page for a while, right?
> >
> > The problem that I have encountered is that some zone device pages are
> > not initialized at all. That sounds like a different from those 2 above.
> > I am having hard time to track what kind of pages those are and why we
> > cannot initialized their zone/node and make them reserved at least.
>
> And you are sure that these are in fact ZONE_DEVICE pages? Not memory
> holes e.g., tackled by

Well, the physical address matches the pmem range so I believe this is
the case.

[...]
> However, I do remember a discussion regarding "reserved altmap space"
> ZONE_DEVICE ranges, and whether to initialize them or leave them
> uninitialized. See comment in
>
> commit 77e080e7680e1e615587352f70c87b9e98126d03
> Author: Aneesh Kumar K.V <aneesh.kumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri Oct 18 20:19:39 2019 -0700
>
> mm/memunmap: don't access uninitialized memmap in memunmap_pages()

yes, the reserved altmap space sounds like it might be it.

> "With an altmap, the memmap falling into the reserved altmap space are
> not initialized and, therefore, contain a garbage NID and a garbage zone.".
>
> I think the issue is that the ZONE_DEVICE pages that *host* the memmap
> of other pages might be left uninitialized.
>
> Like pfn_to_page(VIRT_TO_PFN(pfn_to_page(zone_device_pfn))), which falls
> onto ZONE_DEVICE with an altmap, could be uninitialized. This is very
> similar to our Oscar's vmemmap-on-hotadded-memory approach, however,
> there we implicitly initialize the memmap of these pages just by the way
> the vmemmap is placed at the beginning of the memory block.
>
> If altmap-reserved space is placed partially into an early section that
> is marked as online (issue 1. I described), we have the same issue as
> 1., just a little harder to fix :)

Would it be possible to iterate over the reserved space and initialize
Node/zones at least?

Thanks!
--
Michal Hocko