cBPF socket filters failing - inexplicably?

From: Tom Cook
Date: Tue Jan 05 2021 - 08:43:40 EST

In the course of tracking down a defect in some existing software,
I've found the failure demonstrated by the short program below.
Essentially, a cBPF program that just rejects every frame (ie always
returns zero) and is attached to a socket using setsockopt(SOL_SOCKET,
SO_ATTACH_FILTER, ...) still occasionally lets frames through to
userspace.

The code is based on the first example in
Documentation/networking/filter.txt, except that I've changed the
content of the filter program and added a timeout on the socket.

To reproduce the problem:

# gcc test.c -o test
# sudo ./test
... and in another console start a large network operation.

In my case, I copied a ~300MB core file I had lying around to another
host on the LAN. The test code should print the string "Failed to
read from socket" 100 times. In practice, it produces about 10%
"Received packet with ethertype..." messages.

I've observed the same result on Ubuntu amd64 glibc system running a
5.9.0 kernel and also on Alpine arm64v8 muslc system running a 4.9.1
kernel. I've written test code in both C and Python. I'm fairly sure
this is not something I'm doing wrong - but very keen to have things
thrown at me if it is.

Regards,
Tom Cook

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>
#include <linux/if_ether.h>
#include <linux/filter.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <unistd.h>

struct sock_filter code[] = {
{ 0x06, 0, 0, 0x00 } /* BPF_RET | BPF_K 0 0 0 */
};

struct sock_fprog bpf = {
.len = 1,
.filter = code,
};

void test() {
uint8_t buf[2048];

int sock = socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, htons(ETH_P_ALL));
if (sock < 0) {
printf("Failed to open socket\n");
return;
}
int ret = setsockopt(sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_ATTACH_FILTER, &bpf, sizeof(bpf));
if (ret < 0) {
printf("Failed to set socket filter\n");
return;
}
struct timeval tv = {
.tv_sec = 1
};

ret = setsockopt(sock, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVTIMEO, &tv, sizeof(tv));
if (ret < 0) {
printf("Failed to set socket timeout\n");
return;
}

ssize_t count = recv(sock, buf, 2048, 0);
if (count <= 0) {
printf("Failed to read from socket\n");
return;
}

close(sock);

uint16_t *ethertype = (short*)(buf + 12);
uint8_t *proto = (unsigned char *)(buf + 23);
uint16_t *dport = (uint16_t *)(buf + 14 + 20);

printf("Received packet with ethertype 0x%04hu, protocol 0x%02hhu
and dport 0x%04hu\n", *ethertype, *proto, *dport);
}

int main() {
for (size_t ii = 0; ii < 100; ++ii) {
test();