Re: kernel BUG at mm/page-writeback.c:LINE!

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue Jan 05 2021 - 16:14:50 EST

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 11:31 AM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I think that is the realistic way to go.
> >
> > Yeah, that's what I'll do.
>
> I took your "way to go" statement as an ack, and made it all be commit
> c2407cf7d22d ("mm: make wait_on_page_writeback() wait for multiple
> pending writebacks").

Great, thanks, I see it now.

I was going to raise a question, whether you should now revert
073861ed77b6 ("mm: fix VM_BUG_ON(PageTail) and BUG_ON(PageWriteback)"):
which would not have gone in like that if c2407cf7d22d were already in.

But if it were reverted, we'd need some other fix for the PageTail part
of it; and I still cannot think of anywhere else where we knowingly
operated on a struct page without holding a reference; and there have
been no adverse reports on its extra get_page+put_page.

So I think it's safest to leave it in.

Hugh