Re: arch/arm64/kernel/topology.c:367:22: sparse: sparse: dereference of noderef expression

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Jan 06 2021 - 11:15:00 EST

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 03:52:14PM +0000, Ionela Voinescu wrote:

> > > Nothing I've tried seemed to silence sparse here, including casting to
> > > (__force u64).
> >
> > Would it work if we changed the case lines to (u64 __iomem)0x0?
> >

> No, it does not. We still get the same warning on the switch line even
> if there is no cast. Same if we directly check for:
>
> if (reg->address == (u64 __iomem)0x0)

Folks, could you stop with the voodoo? This u64 __iomem address thing is completely
wrong. What it says is "address of that field shall be an iomem pointer",
which makes no sense whatsoever.

Just what had been intended? __iomem is a qualifier of the same sort
as const or volatile - this mess makes as much sense as
struct cpc_reg {
u8 descriptor;
u16 length;
u8 space_id;
u8 bit_width;
u8 bit_offset;
u8 access_width;
u64 const address;
} __packed;

Which would *NOT* be read as "reg->address is a numeric representation of
address of something unmodifiable" - it would be "the value stored in
reg->address can not be modified".

This annotation says "reg->address (somehow) lives in iomem", resulting in
"so why the hell are you trying to read it by plain dereferencing of
reg + field offset?" from sparse.

Get rid of this misannotation and don't breed force-cast to confuse
everything hard enough to STFU.