Re: [x86] d55564cfc2: will-it-scale.per_thread_ops -5.8% regression

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Jan 07 2021 - 13:56:57 EST

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 06:40:58PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> do_sys_poll(): do the wholesale copyout
>
> Don't bother with patching up just one field - 16 bits out of each 64.
> The amount of memory traffic is not going to be greater (might be
> smaller, actually) and the loop in copy_to_user() is optimized for
> bulk copy.

BTW, considering the access pattern, I would expect it to be
considerably cheaper in a lot of cases; basically, we have a copy
of userland array of 64bit values, then we do a non-trivial amount
of work and modify 16 bits out of each 64. Then we want that
propagated back to the original array. I suspect that copying just
those 16bit fields out is going to cost more that a bulk copy of
the entire thing, and not just on s390 and similar oddball cases.

Comments?