Re: Splicing to/from a tty

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jan 18 2021 - 17:23:01 EST

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:03 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll have a third patch in a moment, but while it's ready I want to
> actually reboot and confirm it first.

Here. This is an actually usable and tested starting point for this all.

Again - it doesn't handle HDLC correctly, because it will chop all
reads up into 32-byte chunks.

And some other apps that think they'll get whole lines might end up
being confused too.

So it's not a "real" patch, but with improved buffer handling in
tty_read(), I think this is actually quite close.

NOTE: due to security reasons (ie password data), we do want to clear
that buffer after we've copied the data to user space. Again, not
something I did in my patch, so it would be part of that "improved
buffer handling"

Linus