More flexible BPF socket inet_lookup hooking after listening sockets are dispatched

From: Shanti Lombard née Bouchez-Mongardé
Date: Wed Jan 20 2021 - 15:28:58 EST

Hello,

I believe this is my first time here, so please excuse me for mistakes. Also, please Cc me on answers.

Background : I am currently investigating putting network services on a machine without using network namespace but still keep them isolated. To do that, I allocated a separate IP address (127.0.0.0/8 for IPv4 and ULA prefix below fd00::/8 for IPv6) and those services are forced to listen to this IP address only. For some, I use seccomp with a small utility I wrote at <https://github.com/mildred/force-bind-seccomp>. Now, I still want a few selected services (reverse proxies) to listed for public address but they can't necessarily listen with INADDR_ANY because some other services might listen on the same port on their private IP. It seems SO_REUSEADDR can be used to circumvent this on BSD but not on Linux. After much research, I found Cloudflare recent contribution (explained here <https://blog.cloudflare.com/its-crowded-in-here/>) about inet_lookup BPF programs that could replace INADDR_ANY listening.

The inet_lookup BPF programs are hooking up in socket selection code for incoming packets after connected packets are dispatched to their respective sockets but before any new connection is dispatched to a listening socket. This is well explained in the blog post.

However, I believe that being able to hook up later in the process could have great use cases. With its current position, the BPF program can override any listening socket too easily. It can also be surprising for administrators used to the socket API not understanding why their listening socket does not receives any packet.

Socket selection process (in net/ipv4/inet_hashtables.c function __inet_lookup_listener):