Re: Splicing to/from a tty

From: Al Viro
Date: Wed Jan 20 2021 - 19:17:11 EST

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:27:26AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 11:11 AM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Why do we care about O_APPEND on anything without FMODE_PWRITE (including
> > pipes), anyway? All writes there ignore position, after all...
>
> We shouldn't care.
>
> Also, I think we should try to move away from FMODE_PWRITE/PREAD
> entirely, and use FMODE_STREAM as the primary "this thing doesn't have
> a position at all".
>
> That's what gets rid of all the f_pos locking etc after all. The
> FMODE_PWRITE/PREAD flags are I think legacy (although we do seem to
> have the seq_file case that normally allows position on reads, but not
> on writes, so we may need to keep all three bits).

Umm... Why do we clear FMODE_PWRITE there, anyway? It came in
commit 915a29ec1c5e34283a6231af1036114e4d612cb0
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat Aug 7 02:08:23 2004 -0700

Add pread/pwrite support bits to match the lseek bit.

This also removes the ESPIPE logic from pipes and seq_files,
since the VFS layer now supports it.

with seq_read() losing the special-cased pread prevention and
seq_open() getting a ban on both pread and pwrite. With
pread() support added in 2009, and (pointless) pwrite prohibition
left in place.