Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Jan 21 2021 - 12:31:06 EST

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 06:04:52PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:

> On 1/21/21 4:54 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > [Greg may be able to help compare/contrast this s390 UID with udev
> > persistent names]

> >> I've thought about this more and even implemented a proof of concept
> >> patch for a global attribute using a pcibios_has_reproducible_addressing()
> >> hook.
> >>
> >> However after implementing it I think as a more general and
> >> future proof concept it makes more sense to do this as a per device
> >> attribute, maybe as another flag in "stuct pci_dev" named something
> >> like "reliable_address". My reasoning behind this can be best be seen
> >> with a QEMU example. While I expect that QEMU can easily guarantee
> >> that one can always use "0000:01:00.0" for a virtio-pci NIC and
> >> thus enp1s0 interface name, the same might be harder to guarantee
> >> for a SR-IOV VF passed through with vfio-pci in that same VM and
> >> even less so if a thunderbolt controller is passed through and
> >> enumeration may depend on daisy chaining. The QEMU example
> >> also applies to s390 and maybe others will in the future.
> >
> > I'm a little wary of using the PCI geographical address
> > ("0000:01:00.0") as a stable name. Even if you can make a way to use
> > that to identify a specific device instance, regardless of how it is
> > plugged in or passed through, it sounds like we could end up with
> > "physical PCI addresses" and "virtual PCI addresses" that look the
> > same and would cause confusion.
> >
> > This concept sounds similar to the udev concept of a "persistent
> > device name". What advantages does this s390 UID have over the udev
> > approach?
> >
> > There are optional PCI device serial numbers that we currently don't
> > really make use of. Would that be a generic way to help with this?
> >

> As far as I understand systemd/udev uses the PCI geographical address
> by default ("enP<domain>p<bus>s<hotplug_slot_idx>...") for PCI attached
> network interfaces in many cases and a lot of users have already built
> their firewall/routing rules on these.

Which is fine as "normally" that does not change. But on some machines,
it is quite volatile so users pick a different naming scheme.

And this is all done in userspace, I really don't understand what you
want to do in the kernel here. If you want to expose another unique
thing that the hardware knows about, wonderful, userspace can then use
that if it wants to in how it names specific devices. But don't put
that naming in the kernel, that's not where it belongs.

> Now taking this beyond s390 my idea is that under some circumstances
> just as with UID Uniqueness for us, the platform can tell if a PCI
> geographical address is a reliable identifier thus sytemd/udev
> has more information about the quality of existing naming schemes
> incorporating information from the geographical address.

The platform does not "know" if this is reliable or not, sorry. That's
not how PCI or UEFI works.

> Looking at my personal KVM guests (Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Ubuntu ARM64)
> as well as my workstation (Arch Linux) all of them use a scheme
> with parts of the geographical address.

Because for the most part, yes, this works. Until you plug another
device into the system. Or remove one. Or plug a hotplug device in and
then cold boot with it plugged in (or removed). Or, my favorite system,
just decide to renumber the PCI bus every other boot "just because".

None of that variability can be known by the kernel, that's only known by
the user of that system, so again, they can make the best decision as to
how to name their devices. If you want to use the systemd default,
wonderful, but know that it does not work for everyone, so systemd
allows you to do whatever you want.

> So in essence my idea is all about either choosing the best existing
> default name or making sure we at least know if it may not be reliable.

There is no reliability "score" here, sorry. Hardware is fun :)

good luck!

greg k-h