Re: LINUX_VERSION_CODE overflow (was: Re: Linux 4.9.256)

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Thu Feb 11 2021 - 08:20:08 EST

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:48:41AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Greg Kroah-Hartman:
>
> > I'm announcing the release of the 4.9.256 kernel.
> >
> > This, and the 4.4.256 release are a little bit "different" than normal.
> >
> > This contains only 1 patch, just the version bump from .255 to .256
> > which ends up causing the userspace-visable LINUX_VERSION_CODE to
> > behave a bit differently than normal due to the "overflow".
> >
> > With this release, KERNEL_VERSION(4, 9, 256) is the same as KERNEL_VERSION(4, 10, 0).
> >
> > Nothing in the kernel build itself breaks with this change, but given
> > that this is a userspace visible change, and some crazy tools (like
> > glibc and gcc) have logic that checks the kernel version for different
> > reasons, I wanted to do this release as an "empty" release to ensure
> > that everything still works properly.
>
> As promised, I looked at this from the glibc perspective.
>
> A dynamically linked glibc reads the LINUX_VERSION_CODE in the ELF note
> in the vDSO.
>
> Statically linked binaries use the uname system call and parse the
> release field in struct utsname. If the uname system call fails, there
> is also /proc fallback, but I believe that path is unused.
>
> The glibc dynamic linker falls back to uname if the vDSO cannot be
> located.
>
> The LINUX_VERSION_CODE format is also used in /etc/ld.so.cache. This is
> difficult to change because a newer ldconfig is supposed to build a
> cache that is compatible with older glibc versions (two-way
> compatibility). The information in /etc/ld.so.cache is copied from the
> ELF_NOTE_ABI/NT_GNU_ABI_TAG ELF note in the DSOs; the note format is not
> subject to overflows because it uses 32-bit values for the component
> versions.
>
> glibc uses the current kernel's LINUX_VERSION_CODE for two purposes: for
> its own “kernel too old” check (glibc refuses to start in this case),
> and to skip loading DSOs which have an ELF_NOTE_ABI/NT_GNU_ABI_TAG that
> indicates a higher kernel version than the current kernel. glibc does
> not use LINUX_VERSION_CODE to detect features or activate workarounds
> for kernel bugs.
>
> The overflow from 4.9.256 to 4.10.0 means that we might get spurious
> passes on these checks. Worst case, it can happen that if the system
> has a DSO in two versions on the library search path, one for kernel
> 4.10 and one for kernel 4.9 or earlier (in that order), we now load the
> 4.10 version on a 4.9 kernel. Previously, loading the 4.10 DSO failed,
> and the fallback version for earlier kernels was used. That would be
> real breakage.
>
> Our options in userspace are limited because whatever changes we make to
> glibc today are unlikely to reach people running 4.4 or 4.9 kernels
> anytime soon, if ever. Clamping the sublevel field of
> LINUX_VERSION_CODE in the vDSO to 255 only benefits dynamically linked
> binaries, but it could be that this is sufficient to paper over this
> issue.

> [...]

Thank you for looking into this. Based on the above, I think we are
safe by keeping the LINUX_VERSION_CODE maxed out at 255, and still
increasing the kernel version number itself (which will be returned by
uname(2).)

I have a report of Android systems parsing the uname(2) string output,
and treating the minor number as an 8bit number, but luckily the
decision based on that will not overflow until 5*256 so we are ok for a
few more years on older Android systems :)

If you run into any reports of problems, please let us know.

thanks again,

greg k-h