Re: [GIT PULL] cifs fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 12 2021 - 20:03:58 EST

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 4:26 PM Stefan Metzmacher <metze@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The machine is running a 'AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor'
> and is freezing without any trace every view days.

I don't think the first-gen Zen issues ever really got solved. There
were multiple ones, with random segfaults for the early ones (but
afaik those were fixed by an RMA process with AMD), but the "it
randomly locks up" ones never had a satisfactory resolution afaik.

There were lots of random workarounds, but judging by your email:

> We played with various boot parameters (currently we're using
> 'mem_encrypt=off rcu_nocbs=0-31 processor.max_cstate=1 idle=nomwait nomodeset consoleblank=0',

I suspect you've seen all the bugzilla threads on this issue (kernel
bugzilla 196683 is probably the main one, but it was discussed
elsewhere too).

I assume you've updated to latest BIOS and looked at various BIOS
power management settings too?

Zen 2 seems to have fixed things (knock wood - it's certainly working
for me), But many people obviously never saw any issues with Zen 1
either.

Linus