Re: [GIT PULL] cifs fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Feb 12 2021 - 20:29:41 EST

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 5:08 PM Stefan Metzmacher <metze@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Zen 2 seems to have fixed things (knock wood - it's certainly working
> > for me), But many people obviously never saw any issues with Zen 1
> > either.
>
> Do you know about the Zen3 status, I was thinking to replace the system
> by this one with AMD Ryzen 9 5950X:

I have heard nothing but good things about Zen3 so far (apart from
apparently people complaining about availability), but it's only been
out a few months, so obviously coverage is somewhat limited.

I wish AMD hadn't decimated their Linux team (several years ago), and
they definitely had some embarrassing issues early on with Zen (apart
from the Zen 1 stability issues, they've screwed up rdrand at least
three times, iirc). But I've yet to hear of any Zen 3 issues, and I
suspect I'll upgrade when Threadripper comes out (I've become quite
spoiled by the build speeds of my Threadripper 3970X - the only thing
I miss is the better 'perf' support from Intel PEBS).

Note that I'm not necessarily the person who would hear about any
issues first, though, so take the above with a pinch of salt.

Linus