Re: 5.10 LTS Kernel: 2 or 6 years?

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Thu Feb 18 2021 - 13:53:21 EST

On 2021-02-17 1:40 a.m., Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
Following up on this as I did not hear back from you. Are you and/or
your company willing to help out with the testing of 5.10 to ensure that
it is a LTS kernel? So far I have not had any companies agree to help
out with this effort, which is sad to see as it seems that companies
want 6 years of stable kernels, yet do not seem to be able to at the
least, do a test-build/run of those kernels, which is quite odd...
I personally cannot commit to supporting this kernel for 6 years
(and personally do not want to backport new features to a 6 year old kernel).
And customers are finicky and ask for one thing and then change their mind later.

Why would we commit to maintining an upstream LTS for 6 years then? If
no one ends up using it (and we don't want anyone using older LTS
kernels) we're still stuck maintaining it.

We'll have to see what decisions are made at a company level for this as there
are added costs to run tests on LTS kernel branches. We already run extensive QA on

This sounds very wrong: it's ok to get volunteers to commit to 6 years
while the company that is asking for it won't do the same?

Shouldn't Broadcom commit to the work involved here first?

whatever active development branches are in use and a subset on the mainline
branch as well. QA resources are finite and committing those for 6 years is
not something that makes sense if customers drop that kernel version.
Testing of the LTS kernel changes really moves out of our hands and into the
customer's testing after our major releases to them.

Keep in mind that QA resources are generally more abundant than
engineering resources that need to actually backport stuff to old
kernels.

--
Thanks,
Sasha