Re: [mm, net-next v2] mm: net: memcg accounting for TCP rx zerocopy

From: Arjun Roy
Date: Wed Mar 24 2021 - 18:22:11 EST

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 11:26 AM Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:42 AM Arjun Roy <arjunroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> > To summarize then, it seems to me that we're on the same page now.
> > I'll put together a tentative v3 such that:
> > 1. It uses pre-charging, as previously discussed.
> > 2. It uses a page flag to delineate pages of a certain networking sort
> > (ie. this mechanism).
> > 3. It avails itself of up to 4 words of data inside struct page,
> > inside the networking specific struct.
> > 4. And it sets up this opt-in lifecycle notification for drivers that
> > choose to use it, falling back to existing behaviour without.
> >

> Arjun, if you don't mind, can you explain how the lifetime of such a
> page will look like?
>
> For example:
>
> Driver:
> page = dev_alloc_page()
> /* page has 1 ref */

Yes, this is the case.

> dev_map_page(page)
> /* I don't think dev_map_page() takes a ref on page, so the ref remains 1. */

To be clear, do you mean things like DMA setup here? Or specifically
what do you mean by dev_map_page?

> On incoming traffic the page goes to skb and which then gets assigned
> to a struct sock. Does the kernel increase refcnt of the page on these
> operations?

Adding a page to an skb will mean that, when the skb is cleaned up, a
page ref is dropped:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/net/core/skbuff.c#L666

So a driver may bump the refcount for the page, before adding it to the skb:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_rx.c#L442

> The page gets mapped into user space which increments its refcnt.

Yes.

> After processing the data, the application unmaps the page and its
> refcnt will be decremented.

Yes.

> __put_page() will be called when refcnt reaches 0, so, the initial
> refcnt which the driver has acquired, has to be transferred to the
> next layer. So, I am trying to understand how that will work?

Ah, I see - there was a miscommunication. Johannes mentioned
__put_page() but I read put_page().
That is where I was planning on adding the interposition for these
network pages.

So in put_page(), if it turns out it's a network page, we do our
handling then as I described in prior emails. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
-Arjun