Re: Candidate Linux ABI for Intel AMX and hypothetical new related features

From: Len Brown
Date: Mon Apr 19 2021 - 17:33:24 EST

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 3:15 PM Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All of a sudden you have *every* thread sporting a fat 8K buffer because
> the library decided to use a fat buffer feature for it.
>
> Nope, I don't want that to happen.

For this to happen, every thread would not only have to include/link-with
code that uses AMX, but that code would have to *run*.

I'm sure that the AI guys are super excited about matrix multiplication,
but I have a hard time imagining why grep(1) would find a use for it.

Indeed, if anyone expected AMX to be used by every task, we would have
never gone to the trouble of inventing the XFD hardware to support
the kernel's lazy 8KB buffer allocation.

cheers,
Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technology Center