Re: Enabling pmbus power control

From: Zev Weiss
Date: Wed Apr 21 2021 - 14:29:17 EST

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 06:05:40AM CDT, Mark Brown wrote:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 01:54:10PM -0500, Zev Weiss wrote:

Consider the power shelf I mentioned earlier -- it's a rackmount power
supply and that's about it. It provides DC power to arbitrary devices that
it has no other connection to, just ground and +12V. Those devices might be
servers, or cooling fans, or vacuum cleaners or floodlights -- the power
shelf doesn't know, or care. It's a lot like a switchable network PDU in

If your chassis is particularly simple then it will be particularly
simple to fit into a generic framework so that should make your life a
lot easier here. Generally the simpler your system is the easier it
will be to use in something generic, it's not going to be stretching
ideas about how things should look and is more likely to have good
helpers available already.

The simplicity of the use-case should make it easy to implement via a generic framework, yes. But at the same time, if we're talking about that being a new framework that doesn't currently exist, the minimal needs of this case make it difficult for me to see what sort of structure or additional functionality would be required of such a framework to support more complex cases, because the simple/minimal case is the only example I have at hand. I think there's also (quite reasonably) a general reluctance to merge infrastructure that doesn't have any users.

Given that, I'd think the appropriate approach for a first-cut implementation of that would be to only implement what's presently needed, and put off incorporating any other bells and whistles until there's something that would use them. It seems like a minimal, only-what's-needed version of that at present would end up looking extremely similar to reg-userspace-consumer though. Would that not be problematic?

Zev