Re: Question on threaded handlers for managed interrupts

From: John Garry
Date: Fri Apr 23 2021 - 08:05:44 EST

On 23/04/2021 11:50, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

Hi Thomas,

The multi-queue storage controller (see [1] for memory refresh, but
note that I can also trigger on PCI device host controller as well) is
using managed interrupts and threaded handlers. Since the threaded
handler uses SCHED_FIFO, aren't we always vulnerable to this situation
with the managed interrupt and threaded handler combo? Would the
advice be to just use irq polling here?
This is a really good question. Most interrupt handlers are not running
exceedingly long or come in with high frequency, but of course this
problem exists.

The network people have solved it with NAPI which disables the interrupt
in the device and polls it from softirq context (which might be then
delegated to ksoftirqd) until it's drained.

I'm not familiar with the block/multiqueue layer to be able to tell
whether such a concept exists there as well.

Other MQ SCSI drivers have had similar problems. They were handling all completion interrupts in hard irq context, the handlers would not exit for high throughput scenarios, and they were then getting lockups.

Their solution was to switch over to using irq_poll for when per-queue completions got above a certain rate.

OTOH, the way how you splitted the handling into hard/thread context
provides already the base for this.

Right, so I could switch to a similar scheme, above, but just think that what I have in using a threaded handler would already suffice.

The missing piece is infrastructure at the irq/scheduler core level to
handle this transparently.

I have some horrible ideas how to solve that, but I'm sure the scheduler
wizards can come up with a reasonable and generic solution.

That would be great.

Thanks,
John