Re: [BISECTED] 5.12 hangs at reboot

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Mon Apr 26 2021 - 15:38:37 EST

On Mon, 2021-04-26 at 19:29 +0000, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> > Which implies that it's likely something fairly specific to your
> > setup (either the config or the hardware - or possibly Void Linux
> > doing something other distros don't).
>
> Init system is runit, not systemd? Could that affect something?

Unlikely.

> > Mind also attaching a dmesg of an affected kernel (or with the revert
> > in place, I guess - it shouldn't matter until the reboot ;)
>
> dmesg from 5.12 without the revert is attached.

That's it? There it just hangs? Not even printing something about tasks
getting stuck? Did you let it sit for a couple of (2-3) minutes to see
the task stuck warnings?

What's weird though is that this is evidently with mac80211 - so
certainly all the patches I just sent out will do nothing for you, and
something else is strange, because mac80211 I've definitely not just
reviewed but also tested these code paths many times.

Hmm. But yeah, either way, a lockdep report or stack dump will surely
help. Perhaps something in the ath* driver you're using that I missed.

> > There's a lockdep assertion there, but you don't seem to have lockdep
> > enabled. So it be interesting to see what happens if you
> >
> >  (a) enable lockdep
>
> Will report when I have tried it.

Thanks.

johannes