Re: [clocksource] 8c30ace35d: WARNING:at_kernel/time/clocksource.c:#clocksource_watchdog

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Apr 29 2021 - 20:25:21 EST

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 04:04:11PM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > The idea is to leave the watchdog code in kernel/time/clocksource.c,
> > > but to move the fault injection into kernel/time/clocksourcefault.c or
> > > some such. In this new file, new clocksource structures are created that
> > > use some existing timebase/clocksource under the covers. These then
> > > inject delays based on module parameters (one senstive to CPU number,
> > > the other unconditional). They register these clocksources using the
> > > normal interfaces, and verify that they are eventually marked unstable
> > > when the fault-injection parameters warrant it. This is combined with
> > > the usual checking of the console log.
> > >
> > > Or am I missing your point?
> >
> > That's what I meant.
>
> I still think all this stuff should be in the fault injection framework,
> like other fault injections, to have a consistent discoverable interface.
>
> I actually checked now and the standard fault injection supports boot arguments,
> so needing it at boot time shouldn't be a barrier.

Per Thomas's feedback, I am in the midst of converting this to a unit
test implemented as a kernel module, at which point the only fault
injection will be in the unit test.

At the moment, the code just registers, reads, unregisters, and verifies
that the bogus unit-test clocksources act normally. Fault injection is
next on the list for the fine-grained clocksource. Which, as Thomas
noted, is quite a bit simpler, as I just need to force a delay until
the clocksource gets marked unstable with no need for fancy counting.

Thanx, Paul