Re: [RFC 1/2] vfio/pci: keep the prefetchable attribute of a BAR region in VMA

From: Marc Zyngier
Date: Sat May 01 2021 - 05:30:34 EST

Hi Vikram,

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:57:14 +0100,
Vikram Sethi <vsethi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Marc,

This seems to go against what Alex was hinting at earlier, which is
that unaligned accesses were not expected on prefetchable regions, and
Shanker latter confirming that it was an actual bug. Where do we stand
here?

> 2. Sometimes even if application is not using memset/memcpy directly,
> gcc may insert a builtin memcpy/memset.
>
> 3. Recompiling all applications with gcc -m strict-align has
> performance issues. In our experiments that resulted in an increase
> in code size, and also 3-5% performance decrease reliably. Also, it
> is not always practical to recompile all of userspace, depending on
> who owns the code/linked binaries etc.
>
> From KVM-ARM point of view, what is it about Normal NC at stage 2
> for Prefetchable BAR (however KVM gets the hint, whether from
> userspace or VMA) that is undesirable vs Device GRE? I couldn't
> think of a difference to devices whether the combining or
> prefetching or reordering happened because of one or the other.

The problem I see is that we have VM and userspace being written in
terms of Write-Combine, which is:

- loosely defined even on x86

- subject to interpretations in the way it maps to PCI

- has no direct equivalent in the ARMv8 collection of memory
attributes (and Normal_NC comes with speculation capabilities which
strikes me as extremely undesirable on arbitrary devices)

How do we translate this into something consistent? I'd like to see an
actual description of what we *really* expect from WC on prefetchable
PCI regions, turn that into a documented definition agreed across
architectures, and then we can look at implementing it with one memory
type or another on arm64.

Because once we expose that memory type at S2 for KVM guests, it
becomes ABI and there is no turning back. So I want to get it right
once and for all.

Thanks,

M.