Re: [RFC] memory reserve for userspace oom-killer

From: Shakeel Butt
Date: Tue May 04 2021 - 22:46:19 EST

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 6:26 PM Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 5:37 PM Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 7:29 AM Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > OK, thanks for clarification. There will certainly be hard problems to
> > > sort out[1] but the overall idea makes sense to me and it sounds like a
> > > much better approach than a OOM specific solution.
> > >

> > > [1] - how the pool is going to be replenished without hitting all
> > > potential reclaim problems (thus dependencies on other all tasks
> > > directly/indirectly) yet to not rely on any background workers to do
> > > that on the task behalf without a proper accounting etc...
> > > --
> >
> > I am currently contemplating between two paths here:
> >
> > First, the mempool, exposed through either prctl or a new syscall.
> > Users would need to trace their userspace oom-killer (or whatever
> > their use case is) to find an appropriate mempool size they would need
> > and periodically refill the mempools if allowed by the state of the
> > machine. The challenge here is to find a good value for the mempool
> > size and coordinating the refilling of mempools.
> >
> > Second is a mix of Roman and Peter's suggestions but much more
> > simplified. A very simple watchdog with a kill-list of processes and
> > if userspace didn't pet the watchdog within a specified time, it will
> > kill all the processes in the kill-list. The challenge here is to
> > maintain/update the kill-list.
>
> IIUC this solution is designed to identify cases when oomd/lmkd got
> stuck while allocating memory due to memory shortages and therefore
> can't feed the watchdog. In such a case the kernel goes ahead and
> kills some processes to free up memory and unblock the blocked
> process. Effectively this would limit the time such a process gets
> stuck by the duration of the watchdog timeout. If my understanding of
> this proposal is correct,

Your understanding is indeed correct.

> then I see the following downsides:
> 1. oomd/lmkd are still not prevented from being stuck, it just limits
> the duration of this blocked state. Delaying kills when memory
> pressure is high even for short duration is very undesirable.

Yes I agree.

> I think
> having mempool reserves could address this issue better if it can
> always guarantee memory availability (not sure if it's possible in
> practice).

I think "mempool ... always guarantee memory availability" is
something I should quantify with some experiments.

> 2. What would be performance overhead of this watchdog? To limit the
> duration of a process being blocked to a small enough value we would
> have to have quite a small timeout, which means oomd/lmkd would have
> to wake up quite often to feed the watchdog. Frequent wakeups on a
> battery-powered system is not a good idea.

This is indeed the downside i.e. the tradeoff between acceptable stall
vs frequent wakeups.

> 3. What if oomd/lmkd gets stuck for some memory-unrelated reason and
> can't feed the watchdog? In such a scenario the kernel would assume
> that it is stuck due to memory shortages and would go on a killing
> spree.

This is correct but IMHO killing spree is not worse than oomd/lmkd
getting stuck for some other reason.

> If there is a sure way to identify when a process gets stuck
> due to memory shortages then this could work better.

Hmm are you saying looking at the stack traces of the userspace
oom-killer or some metrics related to oom-killer? It will complicate
the code.

> 4. Additional complexity of keeping the list of potential victims in
> the kernel. Maybe we can simply reuse oom_score to choose the best
> victims?

Your point of additional complexity is correct. Regarding oom_score I
think you meant oom_score_adj, I would avoid putting more
policies/complexity in the kernel but I got your point that the
simplest watchdog might not be helpful at all.