Re: xhci_pci & PCIe hotplug crash

From: Lukas Wunner
Date: Wed May 05 2021 - 08:44:06 EST

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 02:33:46PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> I just spotted this crash during debugging PCIe controller driver
> pci-aardvark.c with trying to expose its link down events via "hot plug"
> interrupt and corresponding link layer state flags.
>
> And because in whole call trace I see only generic PCIe and USB code
> path without any driver specific parts, I suspect that this is not PCIe
> controller-specific issue but rather something "wrong" in genetic PCIe
> (or USB) code. That is why I sent this email, so maybe somebody else
> find something suspicious here.
>
> But still there is a chance that issue can be also in pci-aardvark.c
> driver and somehow it masked its issue and propagated it into generic
> PCIe hot plug code path.

If you hot-remove the XHCI controller, accesses to its MMIO space
will fail. xhci_irq() seems to perform such MMIO accesses.

Normally this should happen silently and MMIO accesses just return
with a fabricated "all ones" response. Chances are however that the
Aardvark controller raises a synchronous external abort instead.
Perhaps you can teach it not to do that.

Thanks,

Lukas