Re: Concern about arch/alpha/kernel/smc37c669.c

From: Tobias Klausmann
Date: Fri May 07 2021 - 05:30:36 EST

Hi!

On Fri, 07 May 2021, He Zhe wrote:
> There is no "SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0" in arch/alpha/kernel/smc37c669.c
> and the following copyright is found.
> "
> Copyright (C) 1997 by
> Digital Equipment Corporation, Maynard, Massachusetts.
> All rights reserved.
> "

That file is ancient (I reckon it's at least two decades old) and
looks like a wholesale include of a DEC/Digital .h file for that
particular chip. Since we didn't have DCOs or anything like that
back then, I am unsure what the license (if any) actually is.

It's even difficult to figure out when (and by who) it was first
committed. The oldest reference in a grafted-together git repo I
could find was from 2.1.88.

Best,
Tobias

--
/* panic?? These should never occur in our application. */
linux-2.6.6/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aiclib.c