Re: [RFC 12/12] asm-generic: simplify asm/unaligned.h

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri May 07 2021 - 19:55:14 EST

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>
>
> The get_unaligned()/put_unaligned() implementations are much more complex
> than necessary, now that all architectures use the same code.

Thanks for doing this, it looks good to me.

I suspect it's still slightly unnecessarily complicated - why is that
get_unaligned() not just

#define get_unaligned(ptr) \
__get_unaligned_t(typeof(*__ptr), __ptr)

Because I'm not seeing the reason for doing that "__auto_type __ptr"
thing - the argument to a "typeof()" isn't actually evaluated.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking, this certainly is a huge improvement regardless.

Linus