RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [syzbot] INFO: rcu detected stall in tx

From: Guido Kiener
Date: Wed May 19 2021 - 12:14:39 EST

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:48:29AM +0200, dave penkler wrote:

> > > Not true. It does not mark the endpoint as halted, not unless it
> > > receives a STALL handshake from the device. A STALL is not a
> > > protocol error.

> > > Irrelevant.
> > Not at all. The point is that when an application is talking to an
> > instrument over the usbtmc driver, the underlying host controller and
> > its driver will detect and silence a babbling endpoint.
>
> No, they won't. That is, they will detect a babble error and return an error status, but
> they won't silence the endpoint. What makes you think they will?

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I guess that Dave wanted to propose:
"EPROTO is a link level issue and needs to be handled by the host driver.
When the host driver detects a protocol error while processing an
URB it SHOULD complete the URB with EPROTO status and SHOULD mark the endpoint
as halted."
Is this a realistic fix for all host drivers?

-Guido