Re: [RFC v2-fix-v2 2/2] x86/tdx: Ignore WBINVD instruction for TDX guest

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon May 24 2021 - 20:39:51 EST

On 5/24/2021 4:42 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 5/24/21 4:32 PM, Kuppuswamy Sathyanarayanan wrote:
Functionally only DMA devices can notice a side effect from
WBINVD's cache flushing.
This seems to be trying to make some kind of case that the only visible
effects from WBINVD are for DMA devices. That's flat out wrong. It
might be arguable that none of the other cases exist in a TDX guest, but
it doesn't excuse making such a broad statement without qualification.

We're describing a few sentences down that guests run with EPT IgnorePAT=1, which is the qualification.

Just grep in the kernel for a bunch of reasons this is wrong.

Where did this come from?

Again the logic is very simple: TDX guest code is (mostly) about replacing KVM code with in kernel code, so we're just doing the same as KVM. You cannot get any more proven than that.

-Andi