Re: [syzbot] KASAN: use-after-free Read in check_all_holdout_tasks_trace

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed May 26 2021 - 00:21:13 EST

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 10:22:59AM +0800, Xu, Yanfei wrote:
> On 5/25/21 10:28 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > [Please note: This e-mail is from an EXTERNAL e-mail address]

> > > Two times.
> > > 1. the task is current.
> > >
> > > trc_wait_for_one_reader
> > > ->trc_del_holdout
> >
> > This one should be fine because the task cannot be freed until it
> > actually exits, and the grace-period kthread never exits. But it
> > could also be removed without any problem that I see. >
>
> Agree, current task's task_struct should be high probably safe. If you
> think it is safe to remove, I prefer to remove it. Because it can make
> trc_wait_for_one_reader's behavior about deleting task from holdout more
> unified. And there should be a very small racy that the task is checked as a
> current and then turn into a exiting task before its task_struct is accessed
> in trc_wait_for_one_reader or check_all_holdout_tasks_trace.(or I
> misunderstand something about rcu tasks)
>
> > > 2. task isn't current.
> > >
> > > trc_wait_for_one_reader
> > > ->get_task_struct
> > > ->try_invoke_on_locked_down_task(trc_inspect_reader)
> > > ->trc_del_holdout
> > > ->put_task_struct
> >
> > Ah, this one is more interesting, thank you!
> >
> > Yes, it is safe from the list's viewpoint to do the removal in the
> > trc_inspect_reader() callback, but you are right that the grace-period
> > kthread may touch the task structure after return, and there might not
> > be anything else holding that task structure in place.

> > > Sorry...I can't reproduce it, just analyse syzbot's log. :(
> >
> > Well, if it could be reproduced, that would mean that it was too easy,
> > wouldn't it? ;-)
>
> Ha ;-)

But it should be possible to make this happen... Is it possible to
add lots of short-lived tasks to the test that failed?

> > How about the (untested) patch below, just to make sure that we are
> > talking about the same thing? I have started testing, but then
> > again, I have not yet been able to reproduce this, either.
> >
> > Thanx, Paul
>
> Yes! we are talking the same thing, Should I send a new patch?

Or look at these commits that I queued this past morning (Pacific Time)
on the "dev" branch of the -rcu tree:

aac385ea2494 rcu-tasks: Don't delete holdouts within trc_inspect_reader()
bf30dc63947c rcu-tasks: Don't delete holdouts within trc_wait_for_one_reader()

They pass initial testing, but then again, such tests passed before
these patches were queued. :-/

Thanx, Paul