Re: Kernel Panic in skb_release_data using genet

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Mon May 31 2021 - 22:36:42 EST

On 5/28/2021 9:48 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 5/28/21 9:32 AM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>> hi Florian,

>>> I have not had time to get a set-up to reproduce what you are seeing,
>>> could you share your .config meanwhile? Thanks
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't have the time to check how the clock were behaving.
>>
>> You'll find attached my config.txt file and .config
>>
>> I'm booting the board entirely from TFTP (which might introduce some
>> issues in the "handoff" from the bootloader to the kernel), you'll find
>> some guide there:
>>
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md
>
> That is also how I boot my Pi4 at home, and I suspect you are right, if
> the VPU does not shut down GENET's DMA, and leaves buffer addresses in
> the on-chip descriptors that point to an address space that is managed
> totally differently by Linux, then we can have a serious problem and
> create some memory corruption when the ring is being reclaimed. I will
> run a few experiments to test that theory and there may be a solution
> using the SW_INIT reset controller to have a big reset of the controller
> before handing it over to the Linux driver.

Adding a WARN_ON(reg & DMA_EN) in bcmgenet_dma_disable() has not shown
that the TX or RX DMA have been left running during the hand over from
the VPU to the kernel. I checked out drm-misc-next-2021-05-17 to reduce
as much as possible the differences between your set-up and my set-up
but so far have not been able to reproduce the crash in booting from NFS
repeatedly, I will try again.
--
Florian