RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Wed Jun 02 2021 - 23:29:45 EST

Yes, there is indeed performance benefit for device to use no-snoop,
e.g. 8K display and some imaging processing path, etc. The problem is
that the IOMMU for such devices is typically a different one from the
default IOMMU for most devices. This special IOMMU may not have
the ability of enforcing snoop on no-snoop PCI traffic then this fact
must be understood by KVM to do proper mtrr/pat/wbinvd virtualization
for such devices to work correctly.

> > > This support existed before mdev, IIRC we needed it for direct
> > > assignment of NVIDIA GPUs.
> >
> > Probably because they ignored the disable no-snoop bits in the control
> > block, or reset them in some insane way to "fix" broken bioses and
> > kept using it even though by all rights qemu would have tried hard to
> > turn it off via the config space. Processing no-snoop without a
> > working wbinvd would be fatal. Yeesh
> >
> > But Ok, back the /dev/ioasid. This answers a few lingering questions I
> > had..
> >
> > 1) Mixing IOMMU_CAP_CACHE_COHERENCY
> and !IOMMU_CAP_CACHE_COHERENCY
> > domains.
> >
> > This doesn't actually matter. If you mix them together then kvm
> > will turn on wbinvd anyhow, so we don't need to use the DMA_PTE_SNP
> > anywhere in this VM.
> >
> > This if two IOMMU's are joined together into a single /dev/ioasid
> > then we can just make them both pretend to be
> > !IOMMU_CAP_CACHE_COHERENCY and both not set IOMMU_CACHE.
>
> Yes and no. Yes, if any domain is !IOMMU_CAP_CACHE_COHERENCY then
> we
> need to emulate wbinvd, but no we'll use IOMMU_CACHE any time it's
> available based on the per domain support available. That gives us the
> most consistent behavior, ie. we don't have VMs emulating wbinvd
> because they used to have a device attached where the domain required
> it and we can't atomically remap with new flags to perform the same as
> a VM that never had that device attached in the first place.
>
> > 2) How to fit this part of kvm in some new /dev/ioasid world
> >
> > What we want to do here is iterate over every ioasid associated
> > with the group fd that is passed into kvm.
>
> Yeah, we need some better names, binding a device to an ioasid (fd) but
> then attaching a device to an allocated ioasid (non-fd)... I assume
> you're talking about the latter ioasid.
>
> > Today the group fd has a single container which specifies the
> > single ioasid so this is being done trivially.
> >
> > To reorg we want to get the ioasid from the device not the
> > group (see my note to David about the groups vs device rational)
> >
> > This is just iterating over each vfio_device in the group and
> > querying the ioasid it is using.
>
> The IOMMU API group interfaces is largely iommu_group_for_each_dev()
> anyway, we still need to account for all the RIDs and aliases of a
> group.
>
> > Or perhaps more directly: an op attaching the vfio_device to the
> > kvm and having some simple helper
> > '(un)register ioasid with kvm (kvm, ioasid)'
> > that the vfio_device driver can call that just sorts this out.
>
> We could almost eliminate the device notion altogether here, use an
> ioasidfd_for_each_ioasid() but we really want a way to trigger on each
> change to the composition of the device set for the ioasid, which is
> why we currently do it on addition or removal of a group, where the
> group has a consistent set of IOMMU properties. Register a notifier
> callback via the ioasidfd? Thanks,

When discussing I/O page fault support in another thread, the consensus
is that an device handle will be registered (by user) or allocated (return
to user) in /dev/ioasid when binding the device to ioasid fd. From this
angle we can register {ioasid_fd, device_handle} to KVM and then call
something like ioasidfd_device_is_coherent() to get the property.
Anyway the coherency is a per-device property which is not changed
by how many I/O page tables are attached to it.

Thanks
Kevin