RE: Unsupported phy-connection-type sgmii-2500 in arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/t1023rdb.dts

From: Madalin Bucur
Date: Fri Jun 04 2021 - 03:35:40 EST

Hi, the Freescale emails no longer work, years after Freescale joined NXP.
Also, the first four recipients no longer work for NXP.

In regards to the sgmii-2500 you see in the device tree, it describes SGMII
overclocked to 2.5Gbps, with autonegotiation disabled.

A quote from a long time ago, from someone from the HW team on this:

The industry consensus is that 2.5G SGMII is overclocked 1G SGMII
using XAUI electricals. For the PCS and MAC layers, it looks exactly
like 1G SGMII, just with a faster clock.

The statement that it does not exist is not accurate, it exists in HW, and
it is described as such in the device tree. Whether or not it is properly
treated in SW it's another discussion. In 2015, when this was submitted,
there were no other 2.5G compatibles in use, if I'm not mistaken.
2500Base-X started to be added to device trees four years later, it should
be compatible/interworking but it is less specific on the actual implementation
details (denotes 2.5G speed, 8b/10b coding, which is true for this overclocked
SGMII). If they are compatible, SW should probably treat them in the same manner.

There were some discussions a while ago about the mix or even confusion between
the actual HW description (that's what the dts is supposed to do) and the settings
one wants to represent in SW (i.e. speed) denoted loosely by denominations like
10G Base-R.

Regards,
Madalin