Re: device namespaces

From: Hannes Reinecke
Date: Wed Jun 09 2021 - 03:54:09 EST

On 6/9/21 9:21 AM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 2021 at 09:02:36AM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

>> [ .. ]

>>> Also see android/binder/binderfs.c
>>>
>> Ah. Will have a look.
>
> I implemented this a few years back and I think it should've made it
> onto Android by default now. So that approach does indeed work well, it
> seems:
> https://chromium.googlesource.com/aosp/platform/system/core/+/master/rootdir/init.rc#257
>
> This should be easier to follow than the devpts case because you don't
> need to wade through the {t,p}ty layer.

>>> I sent a patchset that implemented this last year.
>>>
>> Do you have a pointer/commit hash for this?
>
> Yes, sure:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-block/20200424162052.441452-1-christian.brauner@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> You can also just pull my branch. I think it's still based on v5.7 or sm:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/brauner/linux.git/log/?h=loopfs
>
> I'm happy to collaborate on this too.

How _very_ curious. 'kernfs: handle multiple namespace tags' and 'loop:
preserve sysfs backwards compability' are essentially the same patches I
did for my block namespaces prototyp; I named it 'KOBJ_NS_TYPE_BLK', not
'KOBJ_NS_TYPE_USER', though :-)

Guess we really should cooperate.

Speaking of which: why did you name it 'user' namespace?
There already is a generic 'user_namespace' in
include/linux/user_namespace.h, serving as a container for all
namespaces; as such it probably should include this 'user' namespace,
leading to quite some confusion.

Or did I misunderstood something here?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke Kernel Storage Architect
hare@xxxxxxx +49 911 74053 688