RE: Plan for /dev/ioasid RFC v2

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Wed Jun 09 2021 - 05:38:45 EST

Yes, this is planned when doing this change.

> > - (Jean/Jason) Accordingly a device label is required so iotlb invalidation
> > and fault handling can both support per-device operation. Per Jean's
> > suggestion, this label will come from userspace (when VFIO_BIND_
> > IOASID_FD);
>
> what is not totally clear to me is the correspondance between this label
> and the SID/SSID tuple.
> My understanding is it rather maps to the SID because you can attach
> several ioasids to the device.
> So it is not clear to me how you reconstruct the SSID info

Yes, device handle maps to SID. The fault data reported to userspace
will include {device_label, ioasid, vendor_fault_data}. In your case
I believe SSID will be included in vendor_fault_data thus no reconstruct
required. For Intel the user could figure out vPASID according to device_
label and ioasid, i.e. no need to include PASID info in vendor_fault_data.

Thanks
Kevin