Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Jun 09 2021 - 15:23:37 EST

On Wed, 2021-06-09 at 12:37 +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 28.05.21 16:58, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 15:29 +0200, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Speak for yourself, remember that Europe and other parts of the
> > > world are not as "flush" with vaccines as the US currently is :(
> >
> > The rollout is accelerating in Europe. At least in Germany, I know
> > people younger than me are already vaccinated.
>
> And I know people younger than you in Germany personally ( ;) ) that
> are not vaccinated yet and might not even get the first shot before
> September, not even dreaming about a second one + waiting until the
> vaccine is fully in effect.

I said "is accelerating" not "is on a par with the US and UK".

> So yes, sure, nobody can stop people that think the pandemic is over
> ("we are vaccinated") from meeting in person. Just make sure to not
> ignore the poor souls that really won't be traveling this year,
> because "we are not vaccinated".

I realise the UK government attitude is that everyone should suffer
until we say it's over (mainly, it must be admitted, to try to keep
people from asking awkward questions about what went wrong initially)
and to some extent the EU shares that, but the US is definitely moving
to a regime that says once you're vaccinated it's pretty much over for
you and I don't see a problem with taking advantage of that for hybrid
style events. However, even with the best will in the world, I can't
see much of a way around the problem that remote people at hybrid
events will always be at a disadvantage ... suggestions for improving
this are always welcome.

James