Re: [RFC v2-fix-v5 1/1] x86: Skip WBINVD instruction for VM guest

From: Kuppuswamy, Sathyanarayanan
Date: Wed Jun 09 2021 - 17:42:44 EST

On 6/9/21 2:38 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
In TDX guests, these WBINVD operations cause #VE exceptions. For debug,
it would be ideal for the #VE handler to be able to WARN() when an
unexpected WBINVD occurs. (<--- problem #2)
...but it doesn't WARN() it triggers unhandled #VE, unless I missed
another patch that precedes this that turns it into a WARN()? If a
code path expects WBINVD for correct operation and the guest can't
execute that sounds fatal, not a WARN to me.

Yes. It is not WARN. It is a fatal unhandled exception.

--
Sathyanarayanan Kuppuswamy
Linux Kernel Developer