Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Jun 10 2021 - 16:32:06 EST

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:20:50 +0100
Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps we could actually _enhance_ conferences by forbidding
> direct audience questions and having a moderator select questions /
> "more of a comment actually" from an official live chat platform to
> engage the speaker directly on stage. It would segue naturally into
> "the speaker is now done with their presentation and here's some good
> followup discussion". So many times people have come up to me after
> a presentation and asked a question that I really wish I could have
> answered for everybody there.

For presentations, I think this is a very good idea. But it wouldn't
work for a BoF or a microconference.

I also thought about doing this for a presentations. That is, "Please
submit all questions online, and the presenter will answer them".

Of course, if you have someone that didn't bring their laptop or phone
(there are people that do that too). They should have a way to submit a
question as well. Perhaps instead of going in line to a microphone, go
in line to a public laptop to type in your question.

-- Steve