RE: Plan for /dev/ioasid RFC v2

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Wed Jun 16 2021 - 02:53:26 EST

This is a good learning that I didn't realize before. 😊

As explained in previous mail, we need reuse the group_viable mechanism
to trigger BUG_ON.

> > > As Alex says you still have to deal with the problem that device A in
> > > a group can gain control of device B in the same group.
> >
> > There is no isolation in the group then how could vfio prevent device
> > A from gaining control of device B? for example when both are attached
> > to the same GPA address space with device MMIO bar included, devA
> > can do p2p to devB. It's all user's policy how to deal with devices within
> > the group.
>
> The latter is user policy, yes, but it's a system security issue that
> the user cannot use device A to control device B if the user doesn't
> have access to both devices, ie. doesn't own the group. vfio would
> prevent this by not allowing access to device A while device B is
> insecure and would require that all devices within the group remain in
> a secure, user owned state for the extent of access to device A.
>
> > > This means device A and B can not be used from to two different
> > > security contexts.
> >
> > It depends on how the security context is defined. From iommu layer
> > p.o.v, an IOASID is a security context which isolates a device from
> > the rest of the system (but not the sibling in the same group). As you
> > suggested earlier, it's completely sane if an user wants to attach
> > devices in a group to different IOASIDs. Here I just talk about this fact.
>
> This is sane, yes, but that doesn't give us license to allow the user
> to access device A regardless of the state of device B.
>

> > > If the /dev/iommu FD is the security context then the tracking is
> > > needed there.
> > >

> > As I replied to Alex, my point is that VFIO doesn't need to know the
> > attaching status of each device in a group before it can allow user to
> > access a device. As long as a device in a group either in block DMA
> > or switch to a new address space created via /dev/iommu FD, there's
> > no problem to allow user accessing it. User cannot do harm to the
> > world outside of the group. User knows there is no isolation within
> > the group. that is it.
>
> This is self contradictory, "vfio doesn't need to know the attachment
> status"... "[a]s long as a device in a group either in block DMA or
> switch to a new address space". So vfio does need to know the latter.
> How does it know that? Thanks,

My point was that, if a device can only be in two states: block-DMA or
attached to a new address space, which both are secure, then vfio
doesn't need to track which state a device is actually in.

Thanks
Kevin