Re: [BUG] arm64: an infinite loop in generic_perform_write()

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 09:22:58 EST

On 2021-06-24 12:15, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 08:04:07AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 04:24:46AM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 11:10:41AM +0800, Chen Huang wrote:
In userspace, I perform such operation:

fd = open("/tmp/test", O_RDWR | O_SYNC);
access_address = (char *)mmap(NULL, uio_size, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, uio_fd, 0);
ret = write(fd, access_address + 2, sizeof(long));

... you know that accessing this at unaligned offsets isn't going to
work. It's completely meaningless. Why are you trying to do it?

We still should not cause an infinite loop in kernel space due to a
a userspace programmer error.

They're running as root and they've mapped some device memory. We can't
save them from themself. Imagine if they'd done this to the NVMe BAR.

FWIW I think the only way to make the kernel behaviour any more robust here would be to make the whole uaccess API more expressive, such that rather than simply saying "I only got this far" it could actually differentiate between stopping due to a fault which may be recoverable and worth retrying, and one which definitely isn't.

Unless maybe there's the possibility to abandon a syscall and SIGBUS the process directly from the uaccess fixup path, but even to my limited knowledge that seems unlikely.

(I'm not counting "cap the number of retries to a very large value to guarantee *eventual* failure" as robust, but I suppose it's a potential option too)

Robin.