Re: [RFC v2] MEDIA: Driver for ON Semi AR0521 camera sensor

From: Krzysztof Hałasa
Date: Thu Jun 24 2021 - 10:17:32 EST

Greg,

Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> How about a book, e.g. describing a patch submission process (but not
>> a copy of kernel's Documentation). The same?
>
> That does not make sense, please explain.

Why not? I can put such a text on a book (say, an e-book) as well.

I'd say you're right with the absence of indication to the contrary -
but if someone explicitly states something is not (e.g. yet) under GPL,
then how one could say SPDX-something has legal precedence is beyound
me.

>> Also - in all countries? Most of them?
>
> Yes.

I assume the latter and not both :-)

> S-o-b is a DIFFERENT thing entirely. Please go read the DCO for what
> you are agreeing to there, it is a declaration for what you are doing.

Well, that's my position.

>> From my perspective, the SPDX-License-Identifier is only meaningful when
>> the file is actually a part of the kernel, or if, at least, it's been
>> presented for merge, with Signed-off-by etc.
>
> Not true at all, sorry. Same for a Copyright line.

The difference seems to me a copyright is regulated by international
agreements and various national laws. A big part of the world doesn't
need the "copyright line", the "protection" is automatic.

But yes, I will remember to ask our lawyers about it. Now that I know
I need to.
--
Krzysztof Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa