Re: [Patch v2 2/3] Drivers: hv: add Azure Blob driver

From: Wei Liu
Date: Mon Jun 28 2021 - 13:39:07 EST

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 07:12:40PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 26.06.21 08:30, longli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > From: Long Li <longli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Azure Blob storage provides scalable and durable data storage for Azure.
> > (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/storage/blobs/)
>
> It's a bit hard to quickly find out the exact semantics of that (w/o fully
> reading the library code ...). :(
>
> > This driver adds support for accelerated access to Azure Blob storage. As an
> > alternative to REST APIs, it provides a fast data path that uses host native
> > network stack and secure direct data link for storage server access.
>
> I don't think that yet another misc device with some very specific API
> is a good thing. We should have a more generic userland interface.
>
> Maybe a file system ?

This can already be done if I'm not mistaken:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-how-to-mount-container-linux
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/network-file-system-protocol-support-how-to

> OTOH, I've been considering adding other kind of blob stores (eg. venti
> and similar things) and inventing an own subsys for that, so we'd have
> some more universal interface. Unfortunately always been busy with other
> things.
>
> Maybe we should go that route instead of introducing yet another device
> specific uapi.

This work of course does not preclude anyone from going that route.

Wei.